Tuesday, October 18, 2005

random stuff...

i just got back from visiting two of my clients. one of them is trans, male to female, and the other one is schizophrenic, a different client then the one previously written about. one of the many reasons i love my job is because i get to really know my clients. they welcome me into their homes treating me like family. i have to keep reminding them that i am their social worker and that as much as i enjoy their company i'm there for a reason, it may sound mean but i have to say that not only for their sake but for mine as well. sometimes i wish i hadn't met my clients that way but oh well, i'm a strong believer that things happen for a reason. So anyway, my trans client has moved sooo many times within the last two years. She keeps getting harrassed (sp?) due to her "change". If there is one thing that really pisses me off is ignorant adults!!!! everybody has the right to their opinion and believes but to HARRASS someone like that!! anyway, she was telling me that she will be moving to boystown by the beginning of next month and that she hopes that will be her last move, "honey!!! if i get harrassed in boystown then i don't know what i will do!!" She was also telling me that she was having difficulty finding an apartment due to alot of apartments turning condo...

CONDOS!!! what the hell!!! what is going in chicago. everywhere i go there is a sign about selling or buying condos. Really every freakin' building in my neighborhood has turned condo. I guess it's a good thing but seriously i keep thinking about my clients. my clients can't afford to buy a condo!!! my clients want to continue living in boystown because they feel comfortable there. they are able to express themselves without the fear of being harrassed, battered or talked about. Most of my clients live in studios paying waaay too much for them!! like i told my client today, "you're not really paying to live in your apartmend, you're actually paying to live in the neighborhood" it really is a nice neighborhood but come on!!! anywho, that's my little issue with the condos....

my schizo client, seems to be doing alot better. his sister is doing a great job in taking care of him. making sure he is keeping up with the doctor's appointments, making sure that he takes his meds. Don't really know where he would be now had it not been for sister taking care of him. When i first got him, he was not taking his meds and therefore was constantly having episodes. At one point he got waaaay out of hand with his sister and myself that i suggested that he be admitted to a nursing home. The sister thought it was a good idea due to her having to deal with her own problems...she was on the verge of loosing her job and was also having marital problems due the amount of time being spent with the client. Anyway, she called me and told me "sonrisa, i need to see you right now!!! i can't handle my brother anymore!!" when i got to their place, client was smoking like there was no tomorrow...which is normal for schizophrenics, smoking helps them calm down, chemicals in the brain and the nicotine apparently work very well with schizophrenics, researchers have not yet discovered why though. the poor sister was sitting on the couch crying. "what happened?" i asked. "he tried eating some broken glass last night and i had to call the ambulance, sonrisa i haven't slept all night because i'm so scared he might do something to hurt himself". i turned to client and i tried to explained to him what the sister was going through and why it was important for him to go to a nursing home...it took me a good 1 hour or so to try to get this through him. after the a while he looked at me like i was crazy and then tells me "will you excuse me, i need to consult this with my lord" walks away...only a few steps away so i could still see him and hear him. He looked upwards and starts mumbling to himself then turns to me and says "ok i'm ready to go, my lord told me that i can trust you and that i should do what you ask of me" you don't know how glad i was to hear that. anyway, he is doing so much better. he no longer is at the nursing home, he now has his own apartment but his sister constantly keeps going over "just to make sure he is ok".

After visiting my clients, i decided to stop by at the pet shop to buy kachito his food. So i went to the store and got him his food...AND yes i couldn't resist, i got him a toy!!! not really a toy but a halloween scratch mat. i saw it and i just had to to buy for him!!! it's the cutest little mat!! i can't wait 'til i get home to show him his new toy. Ms. J thinks kachito is the most spoiled cat in the world but i don't care!! She can say all she wants, kachis will always be number one in my heart!! and as long as i can provide him the luxury of toys i will!! AND if he meows to me that he wants his own condo than i shall get him his own condo!!! gosh darn it!!!

1 comment:

Joel said...

thats great to hear your schizo is doing well, sounds like his sister is very patient and he's lucky to have her.
as for kachito, how could you go to the pet store and NOT bu him a toy... and it's funny that you wrote about people thinking you spoil him, b/c my wife just got done rambling about how I treat Rosie too well.